Definity Insurance Foundation /
La Fondation Definity Assurance
Last updated June 23, 2023
What is Personal Information?
Personal information includes any factual or subjective information about an identifiable individual and may include an individual’s name, address, email, telephone number, age, financial information, etc. Personal information does not include most business contact information such as the name, position, title, business address, or business telephone or fax number of an individual.
The Foundation is committed to the following 10 privacy principles:
- The Foundation is responsible for personal information in our custody or under our control. All privacy inquiries or concerns will be directed to the CEO, who is accountable for overseeing this Policy and the Foundation’s compliance with it. There are other individuals within the Foundation who are responsible for day-to-day collection and management of personal information.
- Identifying Purposes
The Foundation collects and uses personal information for the following purposes:
- To keep you informed about the Foundation’s grants, programs, events, and activities
- For fundraising and administrative purposes
- To provide official donation receipts to donors and/or to administer pre-authorized recurring donations
- For internal research purposes
- To provide you with support and help
- Consent to use your personal information
- The Foundation collects personal information about you only when you voluntarily provide it or otherwise only with your consent. You may provide your consent to us either orally or in writing.
- The Foundation will seek consent for the use or disclosure of personal information at the time of its collection.
- The Foundation will not require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information beyond that required to fulfill the specified and legitimate purposes for which the information is being provided.
- Upon giving the Foundation reasonable notice, an individual may withdraw consent to use their personal information at any time, subject to any legal or contractual restrictions. If you wish to withdraw your consent, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will inform you of the implications of withdrawing consent.
- If you do not wish to receive communications from us or participate in more personalized information and services, you may easily unsubscribe by following the directions provided in the communication or by contacting email@example.com.
- Limiting CollectionThe Foundation limits the collection of personal information to that which is reasonably necessary for the identified purpose. The types of information the Foundation collects can be summarized as follows:
Personal Information provided to the Foundation: The Foundation collects certain personal information directly from individuals who interact with us, including the following:
- Contact information (such as name, address, e-mail address and telephone number); an
- Information required to issue official donation receipts.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
- The Foundation does not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as permitted or required by law.
- The Foundation may have to disclose personal information to satisfy a law, regulation or government request, or to satisfy a subpoena, search warrant or legitimate court order.
- The Foundation may share personal information with third parties engaged to assist us in providing our services. Such third parties are contractually bound to protect your personal information as explained above under “Accountability”.
- The Foundation reserves the right to disclose and/or transfer personal information to a third party in the event of a proposed or actual merger or amalgamation of the Foundation in order for you to continue to receive the same information and services from the third party.
- The Foundation retains personal information only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes for which it was collected or as required by law, and your consent to such purposes remains valid after termination of our relationship with you.
- The Foundation does not disclose credit card account information provided by users except to the appropriate banking institutions or payment processing provider in order to process a credit or debit authorization for payment, or to resolve a dispute.
- Accuracy The Foundation makes commercially reasonable efforts to keep personal information accurate, complete and as up to date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is being used. Individuals are permitted to check on the accuracy of their personal information and may make, or request, modifications or corrections, if necessary.
- The Foundation makes commercially reasonable efforts to protect personal information from loss, theft, unauthorized access, copying, use, modification, disclosure and destruction by establishing and maintaining security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity level of the information.
- All the Foundation’s volunteers and staff members are bound by the Foundation’s code of conduct.
- Individual Access
Upon request the Foundation will:
- Inform users of the existence and use of their personal information.
- Inform users whether their personal information has been disclosed to any authorized third parties.
- Provide users with information about their personal information in our custody or under our control subject to legal restrictions.
Requests are to be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Foundation will make every effort to respond to requests for access to personal information in a reasonable and timely manner.